Friday, September 11, 2009

Initial Project Idea


For my initial project idea I would like to use one of the lessons that I choose called How Much Water Does Your Family Use?  This project will began an investigation into the amount of water one student's home uses on a typical Saturday afternoon.  Following an extensive data collection recorded on an Excel spreadsheet, they will become better informed about their family's water usage and will come up with a multimedia presentation that they formulate to share the ways in which they can begin conserving.  The ideas given are for an oral presentation with Microsoft PowerPoint slides backing it up, or for students to use Microsoft Publisher and create a brochure.  I would even consider letting students use video, if their family has the equipment, and allow them to do a documentary short at their own home, since that's the source of the data collection.

According to the lesson plan, it is written with middle schoolers up to high schoolers in mind.  I would like to modify it in order to use it with upper elementary students, which is what I'm very familiar with.  I'm going to have to figure out a place where I can implement this lesson, because I'm not currently a classroom teacher, so that is a mountain that I will have to climb later.  

4 comments:

  1. Clayton, I really like your project idea and have a proposition for you. It was just mentioned to me last week that our school is going to have a science enrichment class. the teacher first flipped thinking she would have to create more labs. I said, "why labs." she said, "well they're fun." I told her their are huge amounts of science lessons on this site that I have been investigating. she was very interested. If you would like I could swing it by her and see if she would be interested on implementing this project you want to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissi, that sounds really great! I'm totally going to need some guinea pigs later on for this class. You can certainly let her know that I'd be interested in helping her out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your project idea. It can definitely be modified for younger grade levels. It incorporates different tools and will give students the chance to investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just hired the person, and the principal wants me to talk to her about it. Do you recommend I just give her the link or do you have something I could give her?

    ReplyDelete